Skip to main content

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐈𝐒𝐌


𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙑: 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙎𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝘿𝙖𝙮 𝘼𝙢𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙘𝙖

Nights were getting harder for a tourist like me who came to the USA to build a better life. My bedroom insinuated creepy as the days passed. I was alone and spent most of my time fiddling phones. 

In the beginning, I fed myself with enough statistics and information on coronavirus. Soon, some parts of New York City were commanded by coronavirus. Many people were losing the battle with to virus. 

To guard myself, I bought a sanitizer, surgical masks and few pairs of hand gloves. There were messages of warning from relatives, friends, families and husband.  

Like any other days, at nine past thirty in the morning, I prepared myself to go to work. I wore a pair of grey gloves and a mask. I was heading to the subway where I ride a train.

There was group of people who were waiting for the train as well. I maintained a huge distance as advised my health experts and scientist.

Surprising, that group of people approached me. Most of them were African Americans. They were trying to close the gap between them and me violating the rules of Social distancing. I was becoming furious but I held my nerves.

“Can you maintain the social distance between us?”, I exclaimed.

There was no answer from them. Only unheard giggles and laughter.

Soon a Chinese guy asked something in Chinese language. I could not get it.

“Sorry, I am not from your country. I am from Bhutan”. I frowned at him.

 He apologized and went. Apologies were like shattered glass. I could hardly understand his English.

Soon, the train arrived and I got in.

Inside the train, I met another frustrating group of people. They were staring at me as if I was the virus. 

That day, it was the strangest day of my life in America. Americans were indirectly abusing us, mostly Asians. It all started from the Coronavirus. No matter which country you come from, if you look like Chinese, they will assume you as the source of coronavirus.

 I felt like explaining about how 76-year-old tourist was treated in Bhutan although he was the first-person to bring coronavirus to my country.

I learnt an important lesson. No one will treat you like you are treated in Bhutan. 

It was the first time I felt strange in a big city of New York but it wasn’t the worst day.

There is another day, another frustrating day I want to tell.

   
𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫? 𝐋𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐰

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents, Sons and Daughters

𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, Today, I want to tell you all something really important. I am neither a parent nor a philosopher. I am just a college student who went through few tests in my life. In all these years, you have supported your children to go to school and trusted them with all the dreams you have. The beauty of all the Bhutanese parents I have seen so far was “Dear child, we don’t expect you to become the richest man or the richest woman but a child who can stand up on your feet”. Today is the day you won’t forget. Just yesterday, there were news flooding on social media announcing that results for class 12 would be out by today. I knew, all the parents are worried as much as your child who has just completed class 12. This result will determine another step of life. I would like to congratulate all those parents and students who could achieve good marks in examinations. You might be thinking of throwing a party for your child’s achievement. This would mean a world to your chil

[Writing's a Pi]

Photography: Patrick Tommaso {Recently realized how complex a writing is. It's like trying to figure out the definite value of Pi. We only write ~3.14 but this isn't a definite value, it's an approximation. People tried figuring the value for many years, the more people try, the more indefinite it becomes. Writing's no different. We might often hear Peter Dury say 'inch-perfect' when Lionel Messi scores a brilliant goal but writing isn't playing a soccer. We try to achieve the 'inch-perfect' in writing for 10 years, then in another 10 years, new style of writing comes, new books and new authors. It goes like this until we are dead and after we are dead. Then, I tried writing something about writing but I don't know nothing. People say, before you write, you must read. Thinking that I don't want to wake up from my graveyard with regrets, I started reading. I started with Yallamma - The Writing Company, masterpieces of footnotes, poet

Chapter 1: In the Making of Marriage

Hello everyone! I am Lekyuen. I am teacher here at Rukubji Community Primary School in Trongsa Dzongkhag. After completing my Bachelors of Education from Paro College of Education, I decided to devote my life to students. Behind every window, there is a curtain and behind every person there is a story to tell. Marriage is one of the main reasons that keep race of humans survived for millions of years. And I look back at my story of broken marriage. Although, broken marriage is painful to look back, it taught me lot of lessons about many things: love, hatred, betrayal and depression. I am a woman and I have a heart that loves a man like every woman does. Several years ago, I met a guy in the same college. We were like Romeo and Juliet then. He sacrificed many other women just to be with me and I sacrificed lot of other men to be with him. We tied a knot of love and we decided to marry after graduating from the college. I was the happiest woman. I graduated from the college, got