Skip to main content

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐄



π™²πš‘πšŠπš™πšπšŽπš› 𝙸: πšƒπš‘πšŽ πšπš’πšπšžπšŠπš• 𝚊𝚝 π™·πš˜πš–πšŽ

“Azha lam and Gelong, good morning! Come inside”, my mom welcomed the spiritual head of our village along with few of young exciting monks. They were not really monks of who go to monastery to learn Buddhist text and scriptures. They were called lay monks. They follow a style of Gurukul of ancient India whereby several children of the village go to their master. By going to the master, they commit themselves to learn the tradition of Buddhist rituals in the village. They inherit the ancient tradition of the ritual and fulfill the need of rituals during sickness, death and auspicious Buddhist’s days like date ten and fifteen.

“Lhamo! Get ready with the tea to be served to them”, my mom called me from the living room while I was hiding in the kitchen.

“Why didn’t Lhamo go to the school? Everyone is in the school”, I heard Azha Lam asking my mom about why weren’t I at the school.

“She is not feeling well these days. In the school, teachers and friends are having hard time with her. So, I have decided to keep her home until she recovers her health”, my mother answered respectfully.

“What’s her class by the way? I think attendance is really important in the school. Some of the students are disqualified from appearing in the examinations. Ultimately, they are failed and have to remain in the same class”, Azha Lama was warning my mother about the importance of attendance. I was still in the kitchen feeling shy to show my face.

“Lhamo! Is tea ready for serving? If it is, bring the tea along with ten cups. The morning is getting colder”, my mother shouted again.

“It is ready ama. I am bringing. I need your help”. I answered from the kitchen.

“Okay daughter. I am on my way”, as soon as she answered from the living room, she was in the kitchen to help me pick those cups and tea.

I was blushing as I appeared infront of them. I helped my mom to pour tea into the cups and served one by one to Azha Lama and other monks.

“Lhamo, how often do you get sick in the school?” Azha Lama was questioning me while everyone was drinking tea.

“I get sick frequently in the school and it makes me difficult to concentrate on my lessons. I hope to join as soon as I recover”, I answered in the way I was taught in the school.

“I am thinking of taking her out of the school and let her help me at home, Azha Lam. There are many graduates who could not get job for themselves after going to schools and colleges for more than fifteen years. Parents are wasting their money”. My mother was surprisingly taking a different decision out of my own sickness.

In that moment, I was thinking about my father who passed away when I was in class five. It has been four years since my father left me and my mother alone at home. Life was becoming harder and harder for both of us without our father. Now, I am in class nine and my father would be proud of me watching from above.

For the whole day, I was feeling uncomfortable about that decision my mother was making. However, I believed in my mother that she would send me to the school until I complete all levels of higher education.
During that day mother kept me asking “What do you think?”

I just smiled at her without having a definite answer.

The ritual day ended well and all the neighbours gathered. I was becoming tired with lot of responsibilities. I had to serve tea to each and every person gathered. I was relieved when few elders, especially men, helped mom and me in serving dinner and tea.

After the dinner, my mother started discussing about me with Azha Lam since she trusted him so much. Few elder people joined the discussion, both men and women whose hairs were turning grey. Their hairs had turned grey with great experience and knowledge. Old people were respected and considered an invaluable treasure of the village. They advised young people who were struggling with their way of living.

“As I have discussed earlier, my daughter is becoming sicker as she attends the school. I have firmly decided to drop her out of the school to help me at home. Now, I have to discuss about her marriage too. Men and women are created by god to survive each other. I have also a boy who can be her perfect match”.

“Who is the boy then? Tell us!” All the people who were involved in discussion forced my mom to tell the name of the boy. Sadly, I was listening as things passed infront of me without any control.

“He is Gomchen Tashi!” My mother revealed the boy who is going to marry with me. Surprisingly, he was among those who came to perform rituals at home that day. I have known him and we grew up together in the village as childhood friends. 

When I looked at him, he was looking at me too but he was blushing. He was two years older to me and he lived as one of our closest neighbours. 

“What do you think about the decision I am making for you, Lhamo?” The final question was to for me answer since I was the last person to fulfil her decision.

What should I answer? Should I reject or accept my mother’s proposal?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents, Sons and Daughters

πƒπžπšπ« 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, Today, I want to tell you all something really important. I am neither a parent nor a philosopher. I am just a college student who went through few tests in my life. In all these years, you have supported your children to go to school and trusted them with all the dreams you have. The beauty of all the Bhutanese parents I have seen so far was “Dear child, we don’t expect you to become the richest man or the richest woman but a child who can stand up on your feet”. Today is the day you won’t forget. Just yesterday, there were news flooding on social media announcing that results for class 12 would be out by today. I knew, all the parents are worried as much as your child who has just completed class 12. This result will determine another step of life. I would like to congratulate all those parents and students who could achieve good marks in examinations. You might be thinking of throwing a party for your child’s achievement. This would mean a world to your chil

Chapter 1: In the Making of Marriage

Hello everyone! I am Lekyuen. I am teacher here at Rukubji Community Primary School in Trongsa Dzongkhag. After completing my Bachelors of Education from Paro College of Education, I decided to devote my life to students. Behind every window, there is a curtain and behind every person there is a story to tell. Marriage is one of the main reasons that keep race of humans survived for millions of years. And I look back at my story of broken marriage. Although, broken marriage is painful to look back, it taught me lot of lessons about many things: love, hatred, betrayal and depression. I am a woman and I have a heart that loves a man like every woman does. Several years ago, I met a guy in the same college. We were like Romeo and Juliet then. He sacrificed many other women just to be with me and I sacrificed lot of other men to be with him. We tied a knot of love and we decided to marry after graduating from the college. I was the happiest woman. I graduated from the college, got

[Writing's a Pi]

Photography: Patrick Tommaso {Recently realized how complex a writing is. It's like trying to figure out the definite value of Pi. We only write ~3.14 but this isn't a definite value, it's an approximation. People tried figuring the value for many years, the more people try, the more indefinite it becomes. Writing's no different. We might often hear Peter Dury say 'inch-perfect' when Lionel Messi scores a brilliant goal but writing isn't playing a soccer. We try to achieve the 'inch-perfect' in writing for 10 years, then in another 10 years, new style of writing comes, new books and new authors. It goes like this until we are dead and after we are dead. Then, I tried writing something about writing but I don't know nothing. People say, before you write, you must read. Thinking that I don't want to wake up from my graveyard with regrets, I started reading. I started with Yallamma - The Writing Company, masterpieces of footnotes, poet