Skip to main content

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐄


π™²πš‘πšŠπš™πšπšŽπš› 𝙸𝙸𝙸: πšƒπš‘πšŽ πš‚πšŽπšŒπš˜πš—πš πšπš’πšπšžπšŠπš•

The parents of Gomchen Tashi were among the people who came for the ritual.

“Ama, we had been good neighbours for many years and we will be happy to be good to each other for years to come. I am ready to accept your daughter as my daughter in-law”, his father spoke loud enough to be heard by all the people.

“She is a good girl and we know her well. She can be a good wife and good daughter in-law. I will be happy to have her as my son’s wife. I feel that my son is old enough to get married”. His mother was excited about her son’s marriage.

When she told us about the age of her son, I had to think about how old I was. I was just fifteen and he was two years older to me. I went to school and he had been Gomchen since he was six. Tashi was considered as one of the brightest gomchens in the village. Even Azha Lama was proud to have him as his student. 

Gomchen Tashi became capable of performing ritual by himself. He had inherited all the skills and traditions of performing a ritual from his master. He had been in gomchen for eleven years.
 
Everything was happening under my nose like watching a Bhutanese movie where parents arrange a marriage for the good of their sons and daughters. I have watched those few to the end. Some had beautiful endings and some were not. I was not sure whether I will have a beautiful ending or worse. I just accepted for the good of my mom and myself. At that moment, I only prayed for good things to happen. Prayers are not certain as well. They are sometimes answered and sometimes not.

Azha Lam started murmuring some prayers. I looked at his grey beard and golden teeth. He folded his palms.’

“Gomchen Tashi, I would like you to get up. Lhamo, I would like you to stand up as well”. Azha Lam announced from his throne.

Both of us were on our feet near his throne. Slowly, he reached out for two khadars. Soon, khadars were on our neck. 

“From today until their death, I pray for gods to watch these young couples. May the gods give you wealth and happiness. May store be filled with grains. May you be the most beautiful couples that our community have ever seen”. Azha Lam added few prayers again. 

Each person from every household stood up with one khadar each. I have realized that our marriage was already planned by my mother and his parents. He was not surprised as I was. 

“I wish you a fulfilling life and long lasting marriage”, one of persons said after offering us khadar.

About next thirty minutes, I was listening to the same prayers over and over again and receiving the same khadar. I was already tired by the day’s activities of serving people with food and tea. 

“From today, we announce and accept that Gomchen Tashi and Lhamo are husband and wife. As married couple, you should fight the struggles together. You must be good to your parents and for your neighbours”. Those were the last advice Azha Lam wanted us to be.

“Tashi Delek to Lhamo and Gomchen Tashi!” all the people in the house shouted congratulating us for our marriage.

On that day, there were two rituals. One was performed by monks and Azha Lam followed by marriage of Gomchen Tashi and me. 

After our marriage, there were group of villagers who stood up to dance. It went till the midnight. People were getting drunk and children were dozing off. 

“Lhamo and Gomchen Tashi must get up and dance with us!” one of the neighbours dragged us to dance and sing along with them.

I felt shy but I joined them because it is one of many things that happens during the ritual. For marriage, it was a compulsory for people to sing and dance. 
On that day, I ended the road to education. I didn’t know when I would be becoming a mother. I just married my childhood friend.

As the night advanced, number of people kept on decreasing. They were leaving for home to sleep. Few left were the closest neighbours. Among those were parents of Gomchen Tashi and himself. The last one to leave for their home.

“Azha and ama can sleep here”, my mother was requesting them to sleep with us.

“We will go today. We are family now. We will have plenty of time for this. Tomorrow, we have got lot of works”, father was telling my mother of not sleeping at our home.

“Your parents have lot of work tomorrow. I think you need to go today and come tomorrow”, I whispered in the ears of Gomchen Tashi. 

He was just smiling without a reply.

“Gomchen Tashi can sleep here then”. My mother waved goodbye to Tashi’s parents.

“I will go with you two today because I need to help tomorrow”, Tashi told his parents.

“Your dad and I can handle the work. You can stay here tonight with your wife and mother in-law”. His mother gave him the permission to stay with us. I stood there, like a log of wood. Without the power!

“Lhamo, you can make your bed in the apartment. I will sleep here!” My mother shouted from another room. She was taking care of sweeping the floor and rearranging those things scattered on the floor.

While I was preparing for the night, Tashi helped me by picking up pillows and blankets. I still didn’t feel him like my husband but the friend I have known for many years.

Finally, we settled for the night. Till the previous night, I slept with my mom but that night, I was sleeping with a boy who was two years older to me. I was tired and I was sleepy. 

“Lhamo, in few months, let’s go to Thimphu”.

 Gomchen Tashi was whispering in the deep night.
I thought that I was having a dream and let myself to sleep peacefully.

Both of us were shy. I was facing towards west and I told him to face towards the east.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents, Sons and Daughters

πƒπžπšπ« 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, Today, I want to tell you all something really important. I am neither a parent nor a philosopher. I am just a college student who went through few tests in my life. In all these years, you have supported your children to go to school and trusted them with all the dreams you have. The beauty of all the Bhutanese parents I have seen so far was “Dear child, we don’t expect you to become the richest man or the richest woman but a child who can stand up on your feet”. Today is the day you won’t forget. Just yesterday, there were news flooding on social media announcing that results for class 12 would be out by today. I knew, all the parents are worried as much as your child who has just completed class 12. This result will determine another step of life. I would like to congratulate all those parents and students who could achieve good marks in examinations. You might be thinking of throwing a party for your child’s achievement. This would mean a world to your chil

Chapter 1: In the Making of Marriage

Hello everyone! I am Lekyuen. I am teacher here at Rukubji Community Primary School in Trongsa Dzongkhag. After completing my Bachelors of Education from Paro College of Education, I decided to devote my life to students. Behind every window, there is a curtain and behind every person there is a story to tell. Marriage is one of the main reasons that keep race of humans survived for millions of years. And I look back at my story of broken marriage. Although, broken marriage is painful to look back, it taught me lot of lessons about many things: love, hatred, betrayal and depression. I am a woman and I have a heart that loves a man like every woman does. Several years ago, I met a guy in the same college. We were like Romeo and Juliet then. He sacrificed many other women just to be with me and I sacrificed lot of other men to be with him. We tied a knot of love and we decided to marry after graduating from the college. I was the happiest woman. I graduated from the college, got

[Writing's a Pi]

Photography: Patrick Tommaso {Recently realized how complex a writing is. It's like trying to figure out the definite value of Pi. We only write ~3.14 but this isn't a definite value, it's an approximation. People tried figuring the value for many years, the more people try, the more indefinite it becomes. Writing's no different. We might often hear Peter Dury say 'inch-perfect' when Lionel Messi scores a brilliant goal but writing isn't playing a soccer. We try to achieve the 'inch-perfect' in writing for 10 years, then in another 10 years, new style of writing comes, new books and new authors. It goes like this until we are dead and after we are dead. Then, I tried writing something about writing but I don't know nothing. People say, before you write, you must read. Thinking that I don't want to wake up from my graveyard with regrets, I started reading. I started with Yallamma - The Writing Company, masterpieces of footnotes, poet