Skip to main content

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐄


π™²πš‘πšŠπš™πšπšŽπš› π™Έπš…: πšƒπš˜ πšπš‘πšŽ π™²πšŠπš™πš’πšπšŠπš• π™²πš’πšπš’ 𝚘𝚏 π™±πš‘πšžπšπšŠπš—

There was a strange feeling to wake up from the bed where I had been sleeping the previous night. Since my dad passed away, I had been sleeping with my only mom. In the school, I had my separate bed. As a little girl, I had never slept with the man on the same bed. I was still feeling shy that morning. Whenever I thought about the first night of my life with the man, I looked at my mother’s eyes. 

For my surprise, there was no response from my mother. She slept with my father and then, they have together given a birth to me. Now, I am inheriting the cycle of sleeping with the man, a man who was not my choice but my mother’s.
 
In few days, I and my mom went to the school. We completed legal process of getting out of the school.

“Thanks to all the teachers in the school. My daughter could learn till class nine because of all your support. Now, I have decided that I will take her home to help me. Without her father, life has becoming very difficult as I am becoming older year by year. I need my daughter to inherit the responsibilities”, she spoke to the principal of our school.

“Ama, it would be better for her to be kept in the school for few more years. Otherwise, she will regret. It is important for a girl to be educated if they are to become a good mother. But, if it’s your genuine request, you can take her with you”, principal permitted my mother to take me home.

We were soon at the hostel where I had memories with my friends. When I reached near the corridor, there were few of my friends coming to see me.

“Lhamo, are you joining the school today? We have been waiting for you. I hope you have recovered from the sickness?” One of them said to me.

I had no answer. Should I tell them that I dropped school? Should I tell them that I am married to someone? I just remained silent.

“She is not going to be a student anymore. I am taking her home. I would like to thank all of you for helping her during her difficult times. She will always remain grateful for having friends like you all”, my mother spoke to them like a well-prepared farewell speech.

“Aunty! Why are you taking her home? Is it because she is getting sick? I think it’s not a very interesting idea. There is a chance that she might recover fully from her sickness. We are always with her to support”, the bravest among my friends confronted my mother.

“I understand what you are trying to tell me dear. I know how much you worry about your friend but only few of you know that we have lost our father. As you can see, I am getting older and I need someone to look after me and our home. So, I had to take her along with me. I am so sorry!” My mother made it clear and soon, everyone was quiet. There was no further question.

“Lhamo, we will always miss the kind of friend you had been to us. We will miss you”, one of them hugged me. 

“Be a good girl like you always are. Don’t forget to come to school sometimes to meet us”, another hugged me. 

“Sometimes, prepare a delicious curry and come to have food with us”, all of them burst into a loud laughter. She was the fattest friend among my group mates. She would be ready everyday to make someone laugh. 

On that day, she made my mother to laugh among them. 

My friends helped me bringing out my things such as mattress and blankets. I had a small suitcase with limited number of cloth washing soap. I handed those to my group mates.

In less than fifteen minutes, we could load all my things on a bolero. I was about to leave permanently from my second home. 

I hugged all my mates and had to cry little. I didn’t know whether I could see them in the future or not. I would be a mother soon and a farmer. They would come as a teacher or lawyer or a doctor. I just ended the journey to all these professions.

I sat at the back seat of bolero. I could not stop crying for a while. My mother was looking at me from the mirror.

“Lhamo, you don’t need to cry. Everyone has a different way of leading a life. The end of school days doesn’t mean the end of life”, my mother spoke from the front.

“I also agree with your mom, Lhamo. There are thousands of graduates who could not get into government jobs. Now, I think that going to school is waste of time. Parents have to waste lot of money on education and they come back home with nothing. You have made the right choice by listening to your mother. Everyone in our village is pleased by the step you have taken”, the driver added to what my mom told me.

I decided not to answer. He, definitely didn’t know the feeling of leaving a school and friends. I remained silent as if I have completely agreed with his words. 
We reached home and unloaded the things. Tashi helped us to unload the things from the vehicle. By the time we had our evening tea, the watch on my hand read eight past thirty.

“Ama, I am thinking of moving to Thimphu after few months. As a Gomchen, we need more households to perform rituals. Many of my friends told me that they can earn a lot in Thimphu. After spending a year or two, we will come back”. Gomchen Tashi was talking to my mom about his plan of making money.

Immediately, I thought that he was money-minded but I had to calm myself down. Gomchens in village don’t get to work like other men to make money. In some communities, they are not allowed to work in the fields. The only thing they could do was perform a ritual and earn money.

I was waiting for my mother’s response.

“It is a good idea. In the village, we don’t have many households and you cannot earn well. Moreover, you cannot work for money as a lay monk. You can discuss with Lhamo”. Mother left the final decision for me.

“What do you say Lhamo?” Tashi was asking me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents, Sons and Daughters

πƒπžπšπ« 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, Today, I want to tell you all something really important. I am neither a parent nor a philosopher. I am just a college student who went through few tests in my life. In all these years, you have supported your children to go to school and trusted them with all the dreams you have. The beauty of all the Bhutanese parents I have seen so far was “Dear child, we don’t expect you to become the richest man or the richest woman but a child who can stand up on your feet”. Today is the day you won’t forget. Just yesterday, there were news flooding on social media announcing that results for class 12 would be out by today. I knew, all the parents are worried as much as your child who has just completed class 12. This result will determine another step of life. I would like to congratulate all those parents and students who could achieve good marks in examinations. You might be thinking of throwing a party for your child’s achievement. This would mean a world to your chil

Chapter 1: In the Making of Marriage

Hello everyone! I am Lekyuen. I am teacher here at Rukubji Community Primary School in Trongsa Dzongkhag. After completing my Bachelors of Education from Paro College of Education, I decided to devote my life to students. Behind every window, there is a curtain and behind every person there is a story to tell. Marriage is one of the main reasons that keep race of humans survived for millions of years. And I look back at my story of broken marriage. Although, broken marriage is painful to look back, it taught me lot of lessons about many things: love, hatred, betrayal and depression. I am a woman and I have a heart that loves a man like every woman does. Several years ago, I met a guy in the same college. We were like Romeo and Juliet then. He sacrificed many other women just to be with me and I sacrificed lot of other men to be with him. We tied a knot of love and we decided to marry after graduating from the college. I was the happiest woman. I graduated from the college, got

[Writing's a Pi]

Photography: Patrick Tommaso {Recently realized how complex a writing is. It's like trying to figure out the definite value of Pi. We only write ~3.14 but this isn't a definite value, it's an approximation. People tried figuring the value for many years, the more people try, the more indefinite it becomes. Writing's no different. We might often hear Peter Dury say 'inch-perfect' when Lionel Messi scores a brilliant goal but writing isn't playing a soccer. We try to achieve the 'inch-perfect' in writing for 10 years, then in another 10 years, new style of writing comes, new books and new authors. It goes like this until we are dead and after we are dead. Then, I tried writing something about writing but I don't know nothing. People say, before you write, you must read. Thinking that I don't want to wake up from my graveyard with regrets, I started reading. I started with Yallamma - The Writing Company, masterpieces of footnotes, poet