Skip to main content

Chapter IX: The Bad News



Since the day Tashi left for India, he was part of my world of memories. There were hundreds of photos in the album which we took together while we were in the college. Whenever I missed him, almost everyday, I looked at those photos and thought about the time, place and things we have done. It brought smile on my face although it seemed stupid. The one I have loved among hundreds of photos was a photo we have taken on the Convocation Day. I will not forget the day in my entire lifetime. On that day, he offered me a beautiful ring! So, I decided to print the photo into a considerable size, put it in a beautiful frame and placed above my head, just near the bed. We talked every evening on video calls. We sent kisses over the air to each other. No matter how much we sent them, thousands of kisses sent over the phone was not worth a single real kiss.

It happened one evening. It was unusual and he acted so strangely. He was not responding my messages. I tried from all possible ways, WeChat, WhatsApp, Messenger and Instagram. There was no reply. I began to worry about him but optimistically waited for the reply. By 1 am in the morning, he replied me on WeChat. He was drunk heavily. I could make out from his voice. Immediately, I tapped the green call button.
“Hello! Tashi? Are you there? Hope everything is alright? Why are you drunk?”, I asked him lot of questions in haste.

“Hello..Lekyuen.. I am not fine. I am drinking because I want to forget you. Let’s say everything is over. You look for someone of your worth. I am not worthy of your future. I want to thank you for everything you have done for me. You will be the person I am going to remember until my death and thereafter”, he started crying and the call was terminated.

“Hello! Hello! What do you mean? I can’t understand?”, I tried to ask for the reasons but I was already late. I cried the whole night. I could not help myself. I could not sleep either. I guessed that he might have got another girlfriend. But how can he do that? In three years, I never had the feeling for anyone because I had him.

The next day, I could not go to school. Instead I had to ask for a day leave. I tried to send him messages but he wasn’t responding. Soon I was blocked everywhere! On Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram and WeChat. I could not ask him from anywhere. The last of all the hopes was his parents. I decided to visit them during the day.

I went to them with my heart filled with sadness. Through the road, I had memories with him of visiting his house for the first time. His house was the place I hated the most. It was where my marriage had failed. I managed to cling on the hope of future. We had committed each other to marry in the future. Why had he changed his mind?

I didn’t even knock their door. I just pushed it knowing that it would not be latched from inside during the day. My eyes had become a monsoon where the raining never stopped. Sitting on the floor, they were surprised to see me. I looked at both of them and said, “What is the meaning of this apa and apa?”

“Child! What do you mean?”, the father was asking me back.
I cried again with my voice out, “I understood that our marriage has broken already. For many years, I have waited for him. Yesterday, he told me that everything between us is over. Please Apa, I am not worthy of becoming your son’s wife?”

The arrogant father melted that day. He was so submissive and emotional. He remained silent for some time. After a long sigh, he said, “Dear child, I am so sorry. It is not that you are not worthy of being our daughter in-law. We also know how much you love him. It was painful for me to cancel your marriage. It is not that we hated you…”

Before he finished his talk, “That’s why you ruined our relationship? You cancelled our marriage? Please Apa, understand my feelings for him”.

“Child, I know he acted strange yesterday. I also told him the hidden truth yesterday only. The truth is, Tashi is already decided for someone. As soon as he completes his studies, he will be married to the neighbour’s girl. We have decided this long ago. I could not tell you instantly in the beginning because it would give more pain. Therefore, I thought to prolong the truth. We are truly sorry child. We really mean it”,bothApa and Ama were asking for forgiveness.

What more things could I tell them? Absolutely nothing. Tashi had been someone’s property. I could do nothing. I could also feel from the shoes of that lucky woman who was destined to marry him. As speechless as a dumb woman, I slowly moved again towards the school.

On the way, I was down on my knees. My heart had been broken a lot of times. But, it was meant to be broken. I could not fight against the will of fate. Fate was a mighty force. It was a fearful hurricane! I was too small and too weak against it. All could I do was to cry, cry and cry. About twenty minutes later, I heard the foot steeps approaching from Tashi’s house. I tried to ignore. I hid my face under the sleeves. I thought that madness was making the sound of foot steeps.

“Hey! Are you okay?”, a soft voice of a man pierced through my reluctant ears. I wiped my tears and tried a forceful smile. There was a tall young man! Earphones were plugged in his ears. After seeing me, he smiled. May be I looked funny with my swollen eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents, Sons and Daughters

𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, Today, I want to tell you all something really important. I am neither a parent nor a philosopher. I am just a college student who went through few tests in my life. In all these years, you have supported your children to go to school and trusted them with all the dreams you have. The beauty of all the Bhutanese parents I have seen so far was “Dear child, we don’t expect you to become the richest man or the richest woman but a child who can stand up on your feet”. Today is the day you won’t forget. Just yesterday, there were news flooding on social media announcing that results for class 12 would be out by today. I knew, all the parents are worried as much as your child who has just completed class 12. This result will determine another step of life. I would like to congratulate all those parents and students who could achieve good marks in examinations. You might be thinking of throwing a party for your child’s achievement. This would mean a world to your chil

Chapter 1: In the Making of Marriage

Hello everyone! I am Lekyuen. I am teacher here at Rukubji Community Primary School in Trongsa Dzongkhag. After completing my Bachelors of Education from Paro College of Education, I decided to devote my life to students. Behind every window, there is a curtain and behind every person there is a story to tell. Marriage is one of the main reasons that keep race of humans survived for millions of years. And I look back at my story of broken marriage. Although, broken marriage is painful to look back, it taught me lot of lessons about many things: love, hatred, betrayal and depression. I am a woman and I have a heart that loves a man like every woman does. Several years ago, I met a guy in the same college. We were like Romeo and Juliet then. He sacrificed many other women just to be with me and I sacrificed lot of other men to be with him. We tied a knot of love and we decided to marry after graduating from the college. I was the happiest woman. I graduated from the college, got

[Writing's a Pi]

Photography: Patrick Tommaso {Recently realized how complex a writing is. It's like trying to figure out the definite value of Pi. We only write ~3.14 but this isn't a definite value, it's an approximation. People tried figuring the value for many years, the more people try, the more indefinite it becomes. Writing's no different. We might often hear Peter Dury say 'inch-perfect' when Lionel Messi scores a brilliant goal but writing isn't playing a soccer. We try to achieve the 'inch-perfect' in writing for 10 years, then in another 10 years, new style of writing comes, new books and new authors. It goes like this until we are dead and after we are dead. Then, I tried writing something about writing but I don't know nothing. People say, before you write, you must read. Thinking that I don't want to wake up from my graveyard with regrets, I started reading. I started with Yallamma - The Writing Company, masterpieces of footnotes, poet