Skip to main content

Chapter VI: The Official Proposal of Marriage



The next morning, I was standing along with other teachers at Morning Assembly. There were around hundred girls and boys wearing the same school uniform. They were the cutest students. They sang the prayers to the God of Wisdom, JitsuenJampelyang and National Anthem to Tsa-Wa-Sum thanking the king, country and the people of Bhutan.

“Kayjur!”, the School Captain commanded the students to stand at ease. Principal moved forward. He put his spectacles at the right place and spoke words of wisdom to those little children. I wondered if they had understood his speech or not. It was quite a long talk as he made some announcements and other important matters in the school. As a student, I recollected how boring it was to listen to long lectures. Many of the students would not even care what the person is speaking. The students at the back of the queue would be talking and teasing one another but without the idea of teachers in the front.

“Dear students, I am going to introduce our new teacher. Madam Lekyuen, can you introduce yourself please?” was the last of Principal’s speech. I was bit nervous. It had been a long time I have spoken to hundred people.

Shyly, I stepped forward and began my introduction note, “Good morning girls and boys. I am your new teacher. My name is Lekyuen and I completed my study from Paro College. I hope we will learn from each other. I hope our stay together would be a fruitful one. Thank you!” I kept my introduction short as all the students applauded. I could see some the students were tired listening to prolonged Principal’s speech. Soon, the school captain commanded again, “Jokcheth!” Students murmured and dispersed to their respective classes.

In the afternoon, Tashi came to see me. He came with the sweetest suggestion.
“Lekyuen, let’s go to my home in the evening. I will introduce you to my parents. I can’t wait to show a beautiful lady to my parents”, he smiled. I was so happy that I ran and hugged him.

“Do you know how lonely I was to spend a night here? I felt like I was in the prison. Hope you have introduced me already? Today will be just a presentation of myself”. I questioned him.

“Lekyuen, I am so sorry for leaving you alone. Hereafter, we will be always together. Introduce you already? No. I didn’t. I decided to keep it as a surprise. I can’t imagine how they will react to their new daughter in law! And you are such a beauty!”

As decided we were heading to his home in the evening. I was dressed in mathra Kira with a blue tego. I made myself presentable as I believed that I am soon going to become their new daughter. I thought I had to please them.

There, it stood! The mystical house, built in traditional style. It was all adorned with ancient Bhutanese paintings. “Wow! His parents might be rich”, I thought as I could not take my eyes off those beautiful paintings and the majestic house. Soon, fear started to creep in from nowhere. I was more nervous to face his parents than those hundred people in the morning assembly. Several questions started to ask themselves from inside. What if his parents tell that I am not worthy of being his wife? Will they accept me? I decided to forget by focusing on the person who was walking along with me.

We entered the house. His father and mother were sitting near the window. They had probably noticed our arrival.

“Kuzuzangpolaapa and ama!” I greeted them with politeness. I managed to smile as well. Mother seemed to be short like what I have described as Pokemon but the father wasn’t. He was as huge as hulk. The common thing they had was ‘Doma’ in their mouth munching like goats munching the grass. Their lips and teeth were all decorated red. In those reddish teeth, I could see some golden colour as well.

“Kuzu zambo Alo!”, both of them greeted me in return. Even the woman from east managed to catch the accent of Ngalop.

I introduced myself as the teacher of their community school. We talked few things about the beauty of Rukubji, the cold winter and they asked me about my college. Tashi prepared a cup of suja for everyone of us.

While we were having tea with zaw (the beaten rice), Tashi started to speak about us, “Apa! Ama! I need to tell you something. I didn’t tell yesterday because I wanted to keep it as a surprise. Lekyuen and I were in relationship for three years since college days. She has been my caring lover. She loves me and I love her as well. We have also discussed that we will marry. So, we are here to ask for your permission”.
“Marriage?”, the hulk exclaimed at the top of his voice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents, Sons and Daughters

𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, Today, I want to tell you all something really important. I am neither a parent nor a philosopher. I am just a college student who went through few tests in my life. In all these years, you have supported your children to go to school and trusted them with all the dreams you have. The beauty of all the Bhutanese parents I have seen so far was “Dear child, we don’t expect you to become the richest man or the richest woman but a child who can stand up on your feet”. Today is the day you won’t forget. Just yesterday, there were news flooding on social media announcing that results for class 12 would be out by today. I knew, all the parents are worried as much as your child who has just completed class 12. This result will determine another step of life. I would like to congratulate all those parents and students who could achieve good marks in examinations. You might be thinking of throwing a party for your child’s achievement. This would mean a world to your chil

Chapter 1: In the Making of Marriage

Hello everyone! I am Lekyuen. I am teacher here at Rukubji Community Primary School in Trongsa Dzongkhag. After completing my Bachelors of Education from Paro College of Education, I decided to devote my life to students. Behind every window, there is a curtain and behind every person there is a story to tell. Marriage is one of the main reasons that keep race of humans survived for millions of years. And I look back at my story of broken marriage. Although, broken marriage is painful to look back, it taught me lot of lessons about many things: love, hatred, betrayal and depression. I am a woman and I have a heart that loves a man like every woman does. Several years ago, I met a guy in the same college. We were like Romeo and Juliet then. He sacrificed many other women just to be with me and I sacrificed lot of other men to be with him. We tied a knot of love and we decided to marry after graduating from the college. I was the happiest woman. I graduated from the college, got

[Writing's a Pi]

Photography: Patrick Tommaso {Recently realized how complex a writing is. It's like trying to figure out the definite value of Pi. We only write ~3.14 but this isn't a definite value, it's an approximation. People tried figuring the value for many years, the more people try, the more indefinite it becomes. Writing's no different. We might often hear Peter Dury say 'inch-perfect' when Lionel Messi scores a brilliant goal but writing isn't playing a soccer. We try to achieve the 'inch-perfect' in writing for 10 years, then in another 10 years, new style of writing comes, new books and new authors. It goes like this until we are dead and after we are dead. Then, I tried writing something about writing but I don't know nothing. People say, before you write, you must read. Thinking that I don't want to wake up from my graveyard with regrets, I started reading. I started with Yallamma - The Writing Company, masterpieces of footnotes, poet