Skip to main content

Chapter V: The Life at Rukubji Began


Before I share you about the life at Rukubji Primary School in Wangduephodrang, I wanted to share one of the saddest things ever happened in my life. This has led to every disaster. I passed the RCSC Examinations and I was placed as a new teacher at Rukubji. But, he could not. Tashi could not! Still we decided to go to Rukubji together. There was always a hope for another chance. When Thomas Edison could fail for ten thousand times, why not him? Just like Edison’s light bulb moment, I believed Tashi will have his success moment.

After the declaration of RCSC Examinations result, he came to me and said, “Congratulations to you Lekyuen! But I am really sorry. I could not. I will consider this as the biggest defeat of my life”. He was disappointed in himself. I could see frustration burning like flames on his face. I saw him collecting them on his fist and punching them on the wall.

“Tashi, it’s okay. You are not only the person failing to do that. You have lot of chances. For now, you can try for other professions as and when the vacancies are announced. Then, you can try next year”. I tried to calm down his frustration. He laid his forehead on my shoulder and started to cry. I could not resist as we cried together.

He wiped his tears from his eyes and said, “My parents wanted me to go through the examinations by any means. I could not achieve their expectations. Now, I can see how unlucky they are to have a son like me. I don’t know how I will tell them when we go home”.

“All the parents love their children. They may be frustrated at times but they forget. They will only remember their love and empathy. I am sure they will be the same parents I have known all my life”, I consoled her.

For a month, we were making plans how to convince his parents. Few days before my reporting date, we were there! Rukubji Primary School! In our college days, we would talk about that mysterious place. High on the valley between Trongsa and Wangduephodrang. The valley would be covered with beautiful blanket of snow in winter. Children with red cheeks smiling beautifully. Soon, some of them were going to greet me “Good morning madam”.

I could not be happier than to be there, to teach children what I know and learn what I don’t. moreover, I was going to marry the person I love with all my heart. Soon, I will know my mother in-law and father in-law. I could not hold my joy of seeing my new home and new parents.
“Tashi, will your mother and father like a wife like me?”

But there was no answer from him. I didn’t know whether he had ignored my question or he didn’t hear. I could not ask him again. I assumed that he could not hear since he was unloading our luggage from taxi. We paid the driver and thanked him for ensuring a safe journey.

“Let’s go to your home today and settle the things tomorrow. Today, I am tired. We will go and meet your parents”, I suggested him.

“Lekyuen, not today. Better we go to the room allocated in school and I will go home in the evening”.
“How selfish! You want to leave me alone and go home in the evening?”, I joked him.

“No! I don’t mean that. I don’t want to be selfish either. Try to understand. How can I take you to my home without introducing you to my parents first? We will settle and then we will introduce. Let’s not hurry and haste”.

I had nothing to do but agree with him.
We went to the school. There was a Principal waiting for us. He was a middle aged man.
“Kuzu-zangpola! You are madam Lekyuen if I am not wrong?”

“Yes! I am Lekyuen.” We shook our hands in a formal way like all Bhutanese do when they meet for the first time.

“I am the principal here. We have already arranged your room. I will call the helpers to help you settle your things. Anyways welcome to Rukubji family”. He smiled. From the way he spoke Dzongkha, I could make out that he is from Southern Bhutan. However, I was pleased by the generosity he showed. From his face, I could see that he is the man of experiences and wisdom.

As he promised, one of the helpers guided us to the room. Others were already waiting near the house. They have thoroughly cleaned the room. We put things into place and I was going to spend the night there in the new room and new place. But alone. Tashi told me that he is going to go to his all by himself. I respected his decision.

Ah! I cannot describe that terrible night. I was afraid sleeping in that dark and cold room. I had no choice. I was a woman in the loneliest prison.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents, Sons and Daughters

𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, Today, I want to tell you all something really important. I am neither a parent nor a philosopher. I am just a college student who went through few tests in my life. In all these years, you have supported your children to go to school and trusted them with all the dreams you have. The beauty of all the Bhutanese parents I have seen so far was “Dear child, we don’t expect you to become the richest man or the richest woman but a child who can stand up on your feet”. Today is the day you won’t forget. Just yesterday, there were news flooding on social media announcing that results for class 12 would be out by today. I knew, all the parents are worried as much as your child who has just completed class 12. This result will determine another step of life. I would like to congratulate all those parents and students who could achieve good marks in examinations. You might be thinking of throwing a party for your child’s achievement. This would mean a world to your chil

Chapter 1: In the Making of Marriage

Hello everyone! I am Lekyuen. I am teacher here at Rukubji Community Primary School in Trongsa Dzongkhag. After completing my Bachelors of Education from Paro College of Education, I decided to devote my life to students. Behind every window, there is a curtain and behind every person there is a story to tell. Marriage is one of the main reasons that keep race of humans survived for millions of years. And I look back at my story of broken marriage. Although, broken marriage is painful to look back, it taught me lot of lessons about many things: love, hatred, betrayal and depression. I am a woman and I have a heart that loves a man like every woman does. Several years ago, I met a guy in the same college. We were like Romeo and Juliet then. He sacrificed many other women just to be with me and I sacrificed lot of other men to be with him. We tied a knot of love and we decided to marry after graduating from the college. I was the happiest woman. I graduated from the college, got

[Writing's a Pi]

Photography: Patrick Tommaso {Recently realized how complex a writing is. It's like trying to figure out the definite value of Pi. We only write ~3.14 but this isn't a definite value, it's an approximation. People tried figuring the value for many years, the more people try, the more indefinite it becomes. Writing's no different. We might often hear Peter Dury say 'inch-perfect' when Lionel Messi scores a brilliant goal but writing isn't playing a soccer. We try to achieve the 'inch-perfect' in writing for 10 years, then in another 10 years, new style of writing comes, new books and new authors. It goes like this until we are dead and after we are dead. Then, I tried writing something about writing but I don't know nothing. People say, before you write, you must read. Thinking that I don't want to wake up from my graveyard with regrets, I started reading. I started with Yallamma - The Writing Company, masterpieces of footnotes, poet