Skip to main content

Chapter XIII: The Disaster Part II



By the time Wangchuk returned from India, my life was like day and night. I was happy that he returned home but I was sad that he was postponing our marriage. Whenever his parents talk to him about the marriage, he would look for reasons to say that he is not ready. I was victim of trusting the wrong person again.

“Ongchu, you have already agreed to marry with Lekyuen. We all agreed that you two will marry as soon as you reach here. Now, what is the reason that keeps you from pushing your marriage farther?”, the father scolded him infront of me.

“See Apa! See Ama! I don’t mean that I will not marry with her. I am just telling that it is too early. She is a teacher. What do I have? I don’t have a job, I am still young and I am studying. Will not it be better if I marry after I become fully independent?”, Wangchuk shouted back at his parents.

My eyes could not carry the loads of his words. Often I had to wipe my tears. The quarrel and chaos went on in the house. I was helpless once again. I thought that I was the cause of chaos in the family. But I guess I wasn’t.

“Apa and Ama, to be honest with you, I have my own girlfriend who is of my age and who is going to become an engineer in few years to come. I am so sorry to tell you all these and I know I cannot hide anymore”, that was his conclusion that paused the chaos in the family.

“Apa and Ama, I am sorry for causing troubles in your family. Thank you for everything”, I tried to speak more but I could not. I was made to cry and run towards the school. It had become my routine ever since my break up with Tashi. Now, it was another person but of the same version.

I slammed the door of my house, pulled my blanket and slept with my face towards the pillow. I was trying to hold my voice by biting the edge of the blanket.

Suddenly, there was a knock on my door. I didn’t really know who was it. Might be principal? Might be Wangchuk’s mother? Or other? Well, I tried to be normal. I wiped all my tears. I tried to suppress my tears but it kept coming. Slowly, I tiptoed towards my door and opened it.
It was Wangchuk!

Why did he come on my door? To beg like a dog? But by looking at his face, he was furious. His parents might have scolded him. And he might have come to blame me for all the things happened in a family.

“Why do you come here? Just get out of my sight! I don’t want to see your stupid face! What do you think of me? Children to be teased and toy to be played? Well, you are wrong to think that”, I shouted at him.

Then he started crying. He melted infront of me like Himalayan Glaciers. I didn’t know why had he needed to act so innocent with the devil’s heart.
“Lekyuen,…”

“No! Stop speaking! I know that words that come from your mouth are all fake. If you don’t go out immediately, should I call Tshogpa (the head of the village)?”

He turned his back slowly like an old dog and disappeared out of my sight. I went back to my room and sit with my back hunched against knees. Instead of crying, I realized all men we meet in life are not meant to be married.



The Epilogue

I knew why I was called Lekyuen. I often asked mom who named me? She said that the name was given to me by one of the lamas. He might have seen my past and my future. Le in Dzongkha means karma or problems and Kyuen means everyone. I was fated to carry everyone’s problems. I carried for two and I am prepared to face fiercer battles than just broken marriages. Harder the stone, stronger the wall it will make. Life comes like a lemon and we have a choice: to make into lemonade or throw it away after a few bites.

Has anyone thought how important is to take care of ourselves first? Do you ask what makes you happy and what makes you sad? If you are sad about yourself, you will realize that you had been thinking and caring others instead of yourself. After every heavy rainfall, there is a time for beautiful rainbow.

I said earlier that I hated roads and the vehicles since they took the persons I loved. Now, I thank them because they knew that those persons are not worthy of marrying or spending a lifetime together. Since then, I have set the first priority to myself and to my students. They are better friends. I also said that I will hate Rukubji but I have changed my mind. I will instead remember it because it tested me and I passed the first test of my life.

In few years to come, I will be at Bajo or other schools. Before I leave, I will look at the valley of Rukubji and fold my palms to thank everyone for making me stronger.
For now, I am stronger and I am happy. Hardships are the effective ladders to be strong.





Comments

  1. Woah.... Worth reading ur story la....
    It teaches mainly women to get ready to face the problem dat is on their way...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents, Sons and Daughters

𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, Today, I want to tell you all something really important. I am neither a parent nor a philosopher. I am just a college student who went through few tests in my life. In all these years, you have supported your children to go to school and trusted them with all the dreams you have. The beauty of all the Bhutanese parents I have seen so far was “Dear child, we don’t expect you to become the richest man or the richest woman but a child who can stand up on your feet”. Today is the day you won’t forget. Just yesterday, there were news flooding on social media announcing that results for class 12 would be out by today. I knew, all the parents are worried as much as your child who has just completed class 12. This result will determine another step of life. I would like to congratulate all those parents and students who could achieve good marks in examinations. You might be thinking of throwing a party for your child’s achievement. This would mean a world to your chil

Chapter 1: In the Making of Marriage

Hello everyone! I am Lekyuen. I am teacher here at Rukubji Community Primary School in Trongsa Dzongkhag. After completing my Bachelors of Education from Paro College of Education, I decided to devote my life to students. Behind every window, there is a curtain and behind every person there is a story to tell. Marriage is one of the main reasons that keep race of humans survived for millions of years. And I look back at my story of broken marriage. Although, broken marriage is painful to look back, it taught me lot of lessons about many things: love, hatred, betrayal and depression. I am a woman and I have a heart that loves a man like every woman does. Several years ago, I met a guy in the same college. We were like Romeo and Juliet then. He sacrificed many other women just to be with me and I sacrificed lot of other men to be with him. We tied a knot of love and we decided to marry after graduating from the college. I was the happiest woman. I graduated from the college, got

[Writing's a Pi]

Photography: Patrick Tommaso {Recently realized how complex a writing is. It's like trying to figure out the definite value of Pi. We only write ~3.14 but this isn't a definite value, it's an approximation. People tried figuring the value for many years, the more people try, the more indefinite it becomes. Writing's no different. We might often hear Peter Dury say 'inch-perfect' when Lionel Messi scores a brilliant goal but writing isn't playing a soccer. We try to achieve the 'inch-perfect' in writing for 10 years, then in another 10 years, new style of writing comes, new books and new authors. It goes like this until we are dead and after we are dead. Then, I tried writing something about writing but I don't know nothing. People say, before you write, you must read. Thinking that I don't want to wake up from my graveyard with regrets, I started reading. I started with Yallamma - The Writing Company, masterpieces of footnotes, poet